The supplementary submission makes a compelling argument for increasing the minimum wage, and for ensuring that a system is in place to guarantee that minimum wage earners do not lose ground to inflation (indexing).
Below are some interesting facts about Saskatchewan's current minimum wage.
Minimum Wage FactsYou can read the full (12 page) submission by downloading a copy here....
- Roughly 31,000 Saskatchewan people are paid the province’s lowest permissible wage.
- Nearly 40% of low-wage earners in Saskatchewan are between the ages of 25 and 55.
- 78% of low-wage earners in Saskatchewan work in permanent jobs.
- 60% of minimum wage workers are women.
- Increases to the minimum wage are often followed by an increase in employment rates.
- Viewpoints Research found in December 2010 that 71.9% of Saskatchewan people want to see the minimum wage raised.